About Us

First Presbyterian Church of Hollister was established on February 28, 1873. Our founding pastor was the Rev. John Edward. The original sanctuary was constructed about 1879 on the corner of Monterey and Sixth Streets. The first manse was built in 1905.

On February 1, 1957, the church building was sold to the Seventh Day Adventist Church. The congregation moved to its present location on June 1, 1963 and a new manse was constructed a year later.

The Presbyterian Cooperative Nursery School was formed February 1, 1963. Mrs. B.J. Havens, the wife of the Rev. Frank Havens, was the force behind this project and served as the school's first director.

The Rev. Howell Forgy (1956 to 1960) is perhaps our most famous pastor. He coined the phrase, "Praise the Lord, and pass the ammunition", while serving as a Navy chaplain during World War II. Rev. Forgy led the drive to relocate the church to its present site.

Our new Head of Staff is the Rev. Mike Hogg who comes to us June 2010 after serving a Presbyterian Church in New Orleans, LA. Pastor Hogg brings the same energy and devotion to us that he used to rebuild his previous church after hurricane Katrina. We are glad to welcome him to the Hollister community. 

During our 143 year history, God has been very faithful to us. When our church was dissolved between 1879 and 1881 because we were without a pastor, the Lord gathered us together again and we have been one family ever since. When our community was devastated during the 1906 earthquake, the Lord rebuilt our homes and businesses. When our loved ones were sent to war in Europe and the Pacific, Asia and the Middle East, the Lord watched over them and comforted those who anxiously awaited their return, just as He is doing today during the current conflict.

Through times of confusion, grief, conflict and rejoicing, our Lord has been with us faithfully caring for us as His beloved flock. He has forgiven our sins, healed our diseases, strengthened our families, and sustained our joy. May we be faithful to Him as we reach out to others who do not yet know our God.

Christ Fellowship
A Covenant Order of Evangelical Presbyterians

2066 San Benito Street
Hollister, CA 95023
(831) 637-4350

Service Sundays 10am

Click here for driving directions.